The Importance of Breakfast
by NatureBox Nutritionist Kat Brown, MS RD RYT
If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times. But really, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast has been associated with better focus and memory, lower stress, and even fewer accidents at work. Breakfast eaters tend to have better health parameters such as lower cholesterol, maintaining a healthy body weight, and better digestive functioning.
Breakfast eaters are also more likely to hit their nutrient targets for the day than those who don’t eat breakfast. This may be because many traditional breakfast foods such as grains, fruit, and dairy provide essential nutrients. They are usually high in fiber, antioxidants, and calcium. Also, many breakfast cereals are fortified with iron, B vitamins, and minerals.
Consider breakfast an opportunity to set the satisfaction stage for your day. Starting your day off right will help you make better choices at lunch since your stomach won’t be growling and you won’t be famished by late morning. Try out some of these energizing breakfast combinations:
- Whole grain toast with trans-fat free margarine, 1 egg (any way you like it) and fruit
- Oatmeal made with milk or a milk substitute, dried fruit and nuts
- Parfait layered with yogurt, fresh fruit and nuts or granola
- The old standby- cereal, milk and fruit – try a cereal with at least 3 grams of fiber and less than 5 grams of sugar per serving with a cup of low-fat milk
- Whole grain English muffin or bagel with nut butter and an apple
- Omelets with mushrooms and green onions (or any veggies of your choosing) with a side of whole grain toast
- Whole grain toaster waffles with nut butter and sliced banana
- Breakfast burrito with a whole grain tortilla, eggs, and your favorite toppings- try avocado, salsa, beans, or cheese
- Whole grain muffin with fruit or nuts
However you decide to fuel up in the morning, know that you’re taking a simple but important step to infusing your day with energy. Stay tuned to the blog later this week for a NatureBox favorite breakfast recipe or head on over to our Pinterest boards and get inspired by our collection of Breakfast Ideas from around the web!
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code HEALTHY for 25% off your first month subscription!
Kat Brown MS RD RYT is a San Francisco Bay Area based Registered Dietitian and Yoga Teacher. As a nutrition counselor, writer, cook, and yogini she seeks to inspire others to nourish themselves and live balanced, fulfilled lives.