by Angie Ramirez for NatureBox
Cake pops are a fun and delicious dessert, but traditional cake pops are loaded with artificial colors and ingredients. Angie set out to make a cake pop with real ingredients, using angel food cake, cream cheese, and dark chocolate. Make no mistake about it, these are definitely a treat but you can feel good knowing exactly what’s in theses pops! Enjoy!
Makes: 18 pops
- 1 angel food cake, baked and cooled (here’s a great homemade recipe, or you can use this Homemade Yellow Cake Mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese (regular or low-fat)
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips
- Unsweetened coconut flakes (for garnish)
- Natural peppermint candy (crushed for garnish)
1. Prepare cake as directed and add peppermint vanilla extract in the mix.
2. Once cake is cooled, break up the angel food cake into small pieces and place in the bowl.
3. Add the cream cheese mixture and blend until a dough forms. Shape into 1-inch balls and insert lollipop sticks. Transfer to a large plate and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. Melt the dark chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave and stir until chips are melted and smooth. Immediately remove pops from the refrigerator and dip into chocolate; sprinkle with desired toppings. Refrigerate leftovers.
Pics or it didn’t happen!When you whip up this recipe, post it on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #natureboxrecipe so we can like and reshare it!