from the NatureBox kitchen
We’re so excited for spring and enjoying a little bit of warmer weather. To celebrate, we made this No-Mayo Picnic Pasta Salad for a Sunday outdoor potluck. It feeds a crowd but don’t worry if you don’t have a crowd to feed- we had leftovers and it made a delicious lunch the next day. With no mayo and hearty chickpeas, this salad is as delicious as it is healthy!
- 1 package whole wheat pasta (we used rotini)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 6 oz sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
- 6 oz feta (omit for vegan version or if this will sit in the sun for awhile)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and cool in refrigerator. While pasta cooks and cools, chop onion and green bell pepper. Whisk red wine vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, dried oregano and salt and pepper in a small bowl until emulsified.
Once pasta has cooled, toss pasta, veggies, chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes and feta in a large bowl. Pour dressing over and toss to combine. Store in the fridge until ready to eat.
Note: the flavors of the dressing really come through while this sits in the fridge. You can also use fresh herbs if you have them or sub in other veggies that you prefer.
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!