I’m sharing today lightened up mini pot pies with fresh pastry crust that is perfect for a cozy dinner. Not only are these yummy mini pot pies yummy but it so comforting for a winter’s night. The weekend is a perfect time to try your hand at fresh pastry crust too. Hope you enjoy!
This recipe makes four mini pot pies but you can cut the ingredients in half to serve 2.
- 6 ounces of chicken breast (diced & thawed)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1/2 cup diced potatoes
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon of chicken base/bouillon + 4 cups water OR 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt, pepper & thyme
- 1 cup of flour (can you combination of unbleached white and whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons of butter (vegan if you’d like)
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg yolk (save the egg white)
- Salt & pepper for dusting
- Prepare crust: Add flour, salt & baking powder into a mixer or food processor. Then add butter one tablespoon at a time. Combine egg yolk and milk in separate bowl. Add the milk mixture to the flour and knead until dough forms. Add more flour or milk if the dough is too sticky or dry. Knead on a light flour surface for about 5 minutes and then wrap in plastic and let chill for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium sauce pan over medium/high heat, boil all the veggies in water or chicken broth about 6 minutes. Add the chicken, salt, pepper, thyme & chicken base (if not using broth). Boil for another 5-10 minutes until meat & veggies are tender.
- In a separate bowl whisk flour and milk. Add it to the chicken, stirring in low temperature constantly to remove any lumps and until consistency is thick.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough. Cut into circles and make some slits to let steam out.
- Using mini baking pans, add pot pie filling and then dough. Apply some egg white wash and sprinkle in some pepper & salt.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Pics or it didn’t happen! When you whip up this recipe, post it on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #natureboxrecipe so we can like and reshare it!
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Sign up today to get 50% off your first box!