I love salad and raw veggies just as much as the next person, but sometimes, on their own, they just don’t quite hit the spot. Here, I’ve added sliced cucumbers, carrots and red bell peppers to an edamame hummus-smothered tortilla.
I added a twist to hummus by using edamame beans in addition to chickpeas, making for a protein-packed spread!
Prep time: 15 minutes
For the edamame hummus:
- 1 14.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 12 ounce bag shelled edamame beans
- 5 garlic cloves
- Leaves from 4 sprigs parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- Juice of 2 lemons (plus additional, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the wraps:
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup loosely-packed spinach
- 1/4 cup sliced cucumber (about 1/2 medium cucumber)
- 1/4 cup sliced carrots (about 1 medium carrot)
- 1/4 cup sliced red bell pepper (1 medium bell pepper)
1. To make edamame hummus: add chickpeas, edamame beans, garlic, parsley leaves, olive oil, tahini paste, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Add reserved chickpea liquid as needed to help the blending process and thin slightly. (I used about 3 tablespoons). Add additional lemon juice, salt and pepper, to taste.
2. To assemble each wrap: spread about 3 tablespoons hummus onto the middle of the tortilla. Add 1/4 cup spinach. Add 1 tablespoon each of cucumber, carrots and bell pepper. Roll tightly. To ensure the roll stays wrapped, add a dollop of hummus to the end of the tortilla.
Still hungry? Check out our other sandwich ideas!
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Sign up today to get 50% off your first box!