Here’s a handy snack hack: Make a batch of this smoked salmon salad - enough to last you for two to three days - and keep it in the fridge as a healthy but substantial spread for cucumber slices or crackers!
Makes: 10 cucumber cups
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 English cucumber
- Kosher salt
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. With a vegetable peeler, peel cucumber until no dark green skin remains. Cut off ends of cucumber, then cut cucumber crosswise into 10 pieces. Using a small melon baller or spoon, or the tip of the vegetable peeler, scoop out inside of each piece to form a cup, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edges and on the bottom. Lightly sprinkle cucumber cups with salt, then place, cup side down, on paper-towel lined baking sheet for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together remaining ingredients.
3. Using a small spoon, fill cucumber cups with salmon mixture. Serve immediately.
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!
Lori is a Detroit-area food writer, recipe developer and restaurant reviewer. She’s usually found in the kitchen cooking up something that undoubtedly involves beets, lemons or coconut for her blog, Foxes Love Lemons. Check out more of her recipes here.