This recipe has all the things you're looking for in a meal - totally wholesome yet filling and delicious. Here, we sliced up some cauliflower and seared them to caramelized perfection. They're served over a nice ladle-full of red pepper walnut sauce.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes
- Cauliflower Steaks:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce:
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained (or 1-1/2 roasted red peppers)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 piece whole wheat bread, toasted and torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
1. Make Cauliflower Steaks: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut two 1-1/2-inch-thick "steaks" from center of head of cauliflower (reserve ends of cauliflower head for another use). Use vegetable peeler or pairing knife to remove leaves and knobby sections of cauliflower stems.
2. In large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower steaks and cook 5 minutes or until very brown. Flip cauliflower steaks; cook 2 minutes, then transfer skillet to oven. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
3. Meanwhile, make Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce: Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Serve Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce, garnished with chives.