by Kristianne Hannemann for NatureBox
As important as it is to make healthy, wholesome eating choices, it’s also good not to deprive yourself of sweet treats every now and then. With this Blueberry Coffee Cake, we’ve found a happy medium in which crumbly cake is made lower in fat with light sour cream, while more substantial with fresh blueberries and our Honey Nut Medley. Pair this with a fresh cup of coffee for a decadent pick-me-up!
Makes: One 8 x 8 inch pan
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 35 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup NatureBox Honey Nut Medley
- 1/2 cup Quick oats
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together granulated sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and oil with electric beaters or in a stand mixer. Add the sour cream, then slowly add the dry ingredients a little at a time while mixing.
4. Transfer half of the batter to the baking pan with a spatula, then cover with blueberries. Press down the blueberries gently, then spread the remaining batter over them.
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, combine the cup of NatureBox Honey Nut Medley with the oats.
7. Remove the cake from the oven after 10 minutes and sprinkle the nut topping over it, pressing down gently once finished. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Prepare the icing by combining the powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl. Add more milk as needed. Cool before drizzling the icing over the top and cutting into small squares.
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!
Kristianne is the founder of My San Francisco Kitchen, where she shares everyday recipes that focus on cooking/baking from scratch.