from the NatureBox kitchen
It’s Monday, it’s October, and there’s a chill in the air which means we’re going meatless but we still want cozy, warm comfort food at its best. Enter these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas to the rescue!
These enchiladas feed a crowd and are a perfect dish for a Meatless Monday spent watching Monday Night Football.
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced and cooked
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4oz can of roasted green chiles
- 1 15 oz can of enchilada sauce or red salsa
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Black olives, sour cream, or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together diced onion, cooked sweet potatoes, black beans, roasted green chilies, spices, and 1/2 of the shredded cheddar (if using).
- Coat large casserole dish with a bit of oil or non-stick spray and then pour enchilada sauce/salsa in the bottom of the dish, enough to create a thin layer
- Assemble enchiladas by spooning the sweet potato and black bean mixture into the tortillas, rolling up, and placing seam-side down in the casserole dish.
- Continue assembling until all 8 tortillas are stuffed, rolled, and placed into the dish. Cover the roll-ups with the remaining enchilada sauce/salsa and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with cilantro, black olives, or sour cream, as desired.
Note: You can make this vegan by omitting cheese and sour cream and the leftovers are GREAT the next day for lunch or dinner.
Tip: You can prep the sweet potatoes a day in advance by peeling, dicing, and tossing with 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil and roasting at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. If you roast them ahead of time, you can even make extra to throw into burritos, tacos, salads, or egg scrambles later in the week!
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!