Get ready for the most fall-tastic addition to your dessert repertoire!
Living a balanced lifestyle doesn't mean depriving yourself of baked goodies - so we're keeping it sweet and wholesome with this Spiced Applesauce Bar recipe. Agave and a bit of brown sugar sweeten these baked bars, while whole wheat flour, raisins and applesauce help make it guilt-free.
Makes: 20 bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
For the Spiced Applesauce Bars:
- Organic nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons room temperature unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup raisins
For the Pumpkin Frosting:
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus additional if needed
1. Make the Spiced Applesauce Bars: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x13-inch glass baking pan with cooking spray. In medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, mix butter, agave, brown sugar and egg until well combined. Mix inapplesauce; gradually add flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Stir in raisins.
3. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Transfer to oven and bake 20 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of pan comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
4. Make the Pumpkin Frosting: In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese, pumpkin and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. If you desire a sweeter frosting, beat in additional sugar in 2 tablespoon increments until desired level of sweetness is achieved. Spread on Spiced Applesauce Bars and serve.
Looking for more easy, wholesome party foods? There are lots more in the NatureBox recipe archives!
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Sign up today to get $10 off your first box!