by Chung-Ah Rhee for NatureBox
Now that pumpkin season is in full swing, there really is nothing better than having the house filled with pumpkin bread goodness. With lightened-up ingredients like whole wheat pastry flour, coconut oil and applesauce, this crumbly bread can be eaten guilt-free with your morning cup of coffee.
Want to lighten it up even more? Feel free to skip the crumb topping!
Makes: 3 mini loaves
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumb topping:
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat three 5-3/4-inch mini loaf pans with nonstick spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, coconut oil, butter, applesauce, egg and vanilla. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
4. Make the crumb topping: In a medium mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugars, pumpkin pie spice and butter. Set aside.
5. Scoop the batter evenly into the loaf pans. Sprinkle with reserved topping, using your fingertips to gently press the crumbs into the batter.
6. Place into oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before inverting the cake onto a wire rack.
Chung-Ah, the author behind Damn Delicious, loves to take simple ingredients and transform them into sophisticated and elegant meals. Chung-Ah is giving away a NatureBox on her blog this week until November 6th. Check out her giveaway and enter to win your own NatureBox here.