Recipe by Angie of Little Inspiration
I love cooking my mom’s recipes. One dish that I remembered that she cooked for our parties growing up is Frijoles Rancheros or Mexican Style Bean Chili. Frijoles Rancheros is still one of my favorite meals so I re-created the recipe for my family today, just how my mom made it for me!
Frijoles Rancheros is basically a chili style dish that includes pinto beans, chorizo, bacon, & franks (kids love the added hot dogs, just be sure to check for nitrate-free). This dish gets its spice and heat from the chorizo, so choose a mild one or omit if you/your kids don’t like too much spice).
Many people cook the dish differently but this how we cook it on the border of El Paso, TX. You can leave out or substitute some of the meats based on your personal preferences.
If you are making this recipe, I highly recommend taking the extra time cooking beans from scratch. It tastes 100 times better than canned beans. You can even add different types of beans and change the beef for turkey. Serve with some wheat crackers or tostadas.
Serves about 6-8 people.
- ¾ of pound of dry pinto beans
- ½ lb of pork or soy chorizo (casings removed)
- ½ lb of bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
- ½ lb of nitrate-free franks (beef or turkey), cut into little cubes
- ½ cup of diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup of diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup of diced onion
- 2 TBSP of kosher salt
- Wash and soak beans in water and leave overnight in a bowl. Drain beans and add the beans with 2 TBSP of salt to a medium/large pot. Fill pot with water about ⅔ full until beans are covered. Simmer for about 1-2 hrs checking every hour until beans are tender (if the beans start to absorb too much liquid, add more liquid so they are always covered and the pot is 2/3 full).
- In a large non-stick skillet pan, saute chopped bacon & onion for 10 minutes. Add chorizo (crumble it in the pan) and franks and saute for another 10 minutes. Finally add the bell peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain excess oil and add meat/veggie mixture to the pots with the beans and their liquid. Stir and let it cook until boiling.
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Enter coupon code NATURE for 25% off your first month subscription!