Looking for Halloween dessert and party ideas? Try this spook-tacularly festive take on cupcakes! Classic vanilla cupcakes are given a “bloody” oomph with raspberry puree drizzled over the top.
Makes: 12 cupcakes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberries, pureed
- 9 knife icing decorations
For the vanilla cream cheese frosting:
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk and egg whites.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar and vanilla bean seeds on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in vanilla until well combined. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and sour cream mixture alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
5. Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
7. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating just until incorporated. Add vanilla until well combined. Increase speed to medium high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
8. Use a small offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip to frost cupcakes, drizzled with raspberry puree and topped with knife icing decoration.
Chung-Ah, the author behind Damn Delicious, loves to take simple ingredients and transform them into sophisticated and elegant meals.