As much as I love asparagus, I do think when served raw, its bitterness is a little tough to handle. Here, I shaved the stalks into thin strips so their mouth-filling flavor is more evenly distributed within the salad. The finished dish is then dressed with an orange mimosa vinaigrette to make for a bright, bubbly complement to the asparagus.
Make some mimosas with the leftover champagne and pair with the salad for a decadent - but still healthy - brunch treat!
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 4 stalks asparagus, shaved with a peeler
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry champagne
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, gently toss together the mixed baby greens, shaved asparagus, sliced shallots and tomato halves.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, champagne, orange juice and orange zest. Steadily whisk in the olive oil, and season to taste. Pour over the salad and gently toss.
Note: Learn more about the health benefits of asparagus.
Get more healthy ideas and delicious snacks by joining NatureBox. Sign up today to get 50% off your first box!